English Bihar CM Nitish Kumar inaugurates state’s first Bird Festival ‘Kalrav’ at Nagi-Nakti...
1. 16th NDRF Raising Day: 19 January 2021
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrates its Raising Day every year on January 19, since it came into existence on January 19, 2006.
- In 2021, the NDRF is observing its 16th Raising Day.
- NDRF is an Indian specialized force under the National Disaster Management Authority, constituted under the Disaster Management Act, 2005, to carry out special response in situation of threatening disaster.
- There are 12 NDRF battalions located in different parts of the country and comprises as many as 13,000 NDRF personnel who work to build a safer country.
- The current Director Generals of NDRF is SN Pradhan.
Centre Declares Netaji’s birthday to be marked as ‘Parakram Diwas’ every year
- The Government of India has decided to celebrate the birthday of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, that falls on January 23 as ‘Parakram Diwas’ from now on every year.
- This day will be dedicated to honour and remember Netaji’s indomitable spirit and selfless service to the nation.
- 23rd January 2021 will mark the 125th birth anniversary year of Netaji.
PM Narendra Modi appointed as Chairman of Gujarat’s Somnath Temple Trust
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been appointed as the new chairman of the Shree Somnath Trust (SST), the religious body which manages and maintains the famous Somnath Temple, situated near Veravalat at Prabhas Patan town of Gir-Somnath district in Gujarat.
- PM Modi is the only second Prime Minister to hold the post, after Prime Minister Morarji Desai.
- The post of chairman of the trust was vacant following the death of Keshubhai Patel, former chief minister of Gujarat, in October 2020, who served as the chairman for 16 years (2004-2020).
- Apart from PM Modi, other members of the trust includes:
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah,
- Veteran BJP leader LK Advani,
- Harshvardhan Neotia– chairman of Kolkata-based construction major Ambuja Neotia Goup,
- Pravin Laheri- , retired chief secretary of Gujarat and
- Jeevan Parmar- retired professor of Sanskrit in Veraval.
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar inaugurates state’s first Bird Festival ‘Kalrav’ at Nagi-Nakti bird sanctuary
- The Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar inaugurated the first-ever bird festival of the state, ‘Kalrav’, at Nagi-Nakti bird sanctuary, located in Jamui district.
- The three-day bird festival was organised from January 15 to 17, 2021.
- The festival was organized by the state environment, forest and climate change department to create awareness among people about birds, especially the migratory birds.
India’s first Labour Movement Museum to be set up in Kerala
- The first-of-its-kind Labour Movement Museum, in India, would be launched in Alappuzha in Kerala, to showcase the history of world labour movement.
- The museum will portray the growth of the world labour movement and the history of Kerala’s labour movement, through pictures, documents and other exhibits.
- Alappuzha is famous as the global houseboat tourism hub.
India to procure 21 MiG-29 and 12 Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft from Russia
- The Government of India is set to procure 21 MiG-29 and 12 Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft from Russia.
- Apart from this, the Centre will also purchase the upgrades of the existing fleets of aircrafts from Russian state-run defence export arm Rosoboronexport.
- The new set of 21 MiG-29 will add to existing 59 such jets already with the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the 12 Sukhoi-30MKIs, on the other hand, will add to the existing fleet of 272 such fighter aircraft.
Netherlands PM Mark Rutte and his entire cabinet quits
- The Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and his entire Cabinet has resigned recently over the childcare subsidies scandal, in which thousands of families were wrongly accused of child welfare fraud.
- However, the Rutte government will stay on in a caretaker role until parliamentary elections in March 2021.
- Netherlands Capital: Amsterdam; Currency: Euro
RBL Bank board approves re-appointment of Vishwavir Ahuja as MD and CEO
- Vishwavir Ahuja has been re-appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Private sector lender, RBL Bank.
- Ahuja has been appointed for a period of three years, with effect from June 30, 2021 to June 29, 2024.
- He is serving as the Managing Director and CEO of Mumbai-based RBL Bank since June 30, 2010.
- Prior to this Ahuja was the Managing Director and CEO of Bank of America, India from 2001 to 2009.
Padma Award winning Renowned Oncologist Dr V Shanta passes away at 93
- Renowned oncologist Dr V Shanta has passed away, following chest pain. She was 93.
- Dr Shanta was the chairperson of Adyar Cancer Institute in Chennai, which she joined in 1954. The institute is known for providing state-of-the-art healthcare to all patients.
- She was a recipient of the prestigious Padma Shri (1986) and Padma Bhushan (2006) for her efforts for making quality and affordable cancer treatment accessible to everyone.
- She was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan and the Ramon Magsaysay awards.