- On which river is a ‘mega hydropower project’ being constructed by Ethiopia which has increased the possibility of ‘water war’ between the countries located in the river downstream, eg Egypt and Ethiopia?
b. Awash River
c. Lungwa River
d. Maniya River
ANSWER: a. The Nile River The
dispute over water sharing of Africa’s longest ‘Nile River’ has been going on for more than a decade between many countries of the African continent. Towards the end of 2020, Ethiopia and Egypt are going to start talks in Washington DC about the future of the hydroelectric project on the Nile. The Nile River is the longest river in the world. It originates from the south of the equator and falls through North East Africa into the Mediterranean Sea.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently announced how many candidates to enter human trials?
ANSWER: c. Eight
World Health Organization (WHO) has recently announced the entry of eight candidates into human trials. Many people have come forward to participate in the ‘Human Challenge Trial’. In the Human Challenge trial, volunteers are infected with the COVID-19 virus. This vaccine is used to speed up the development process. The main advantage of the Human Challenge trial is that it accelerates testing.
- Which Major of Uttarakhand will be honored with the award of United Nations (UN) Military Gender Advocate of the Year in the Indian Army officer and female peacekeeper?
a. Suman Gawani
b. Suman Tyagi
c. Komal Sachdeva
d. Geeta Sethi
ANSWER: a. Suman Gawani
This is the first time any Indian peacekeeper will be honored with this award. Military observer Suman was stationed in South Sudan under the UN mission. Recently he has completed his mission. Brazilian military commander Carla Monteiro de Castro Araújo also received this honor. This is the second consecutive year when the Brazilian peacekeeper has received this honor.
- World Steel Association released the World Steel Report. According to this report, by what percentage has crude steel fallen in India?
a. 85 percent
b. 95 percent
c. 10 percent
d. 65 percent
During April 2020, 65 percent of India’s steel production was 3.13 million tonnes. India produced 9.02 million tonnes in April 2019. In March 2020, India faced a 14 percent decline in steel production compared to March 2019. This report also said that global steel production has declined by 13 percent. In April 2019, global steel production was 157.67 million tonnes.
- International Missing Children’s Day is observed on which of the following days?
a. 10 January
b. 25 May
c. 15 March
d. 25 April
ANSWER: b. 25 May
Each year 25 May is celebrated as International Missing Children’s Day globally. The day is celebrated for those missing children who have somehow reached home, to remember those who are victims of crime, and to continue efforts to find those who are still missing. The day was announced in 1983 by US President Ronald Reagan.