1. When is Rajiv Gandhi’s death anniversary observed?
a) May 21st
b) May 25th
c) May 23rd
d) May 22nd
Answer (a) May 21st
Rajiv Gandhi’s 30th death anniversary was observed on May 21, 2021. The late Prime Minister was assassinated by a suicide bomber on May 21, 1991, while he was attending an election rally at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu.
2. Which country has said that any successor of the 14th Dalai Lama should have to be approved by its government?
d) None of the above
Answer (a) China
China stated on May 21, 2021 that any successor of the 14th Dalai Lama should have to be approved by it, ruling out recognition to any heir nominated by the Dalai Lama or by his followers.
3. Noted Indian environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna passed away due to COVID-19 on May 21, 2021. He was a prominent leader of which among the following movements?
a) Narmada Bachao Andholan
b) Chipko Movement
c) Save Silent Valley Movement
d) Appiko Movement
Answer (b) Chipko Movement
Sunderlal Bahuguna, the 94-year-old Chipko movement leader and a noted environmentalist, passed away due to COVID-19 on May 21, 2021, at AIIMS hospital in Rishikesh.
4. Which state government has approved setting up of the Legislative Council?
c) Tamil Nadu
d) West Bengal
Answer (d) West Bengal
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee approved setting up of the Legislative Council or Vidhan Parishad in the state during a cabinet meeting conducted through video conferencing on May 17, 2021 with several Departmental Secretaries. This was one of the poll promises of the Trinamool Congress(TMC).
5. Which nation has decided to launch plans for Global Pandemic Radar to detect COVID-19 variants and emerging diseases?
Answer (c) UK
UK PM Boris Johnson announced on May 21, 2021, that the UK will be working with the World Health Organisation, other partners, and nations for developing an advanced international pathogen surveillance network for identifying COVID-19 variants and emerging diseases. The Global Pandemic Radar will ensure the early detection of the new variants and the emerging pathogens so that the early treatments and vaccines can be rapidly developed by the scientific communities.